Azadi Tower in Tehran
In the series of Tehran travel guide we introduce you to The Azadi Tower. This important place in Tehran also had known as “Shahyad Tower” before the 1979 Islamic revolution.
It is one of the main symbols of the city of Tehran .It is one of major places to visit in Iran. In addition all countries know Iran with this symbol.
The tower is the symbol of Iran’s -230 years old –capital city, and is one of its nostalgia of history. So In addition to foreign tourists, many domestic tourists also visit this important building. So you can see the important role of this building in Tehran tourist attractions.
characteristic of Azadi Tower
Azadi Square is the most important parts of contemporary political history in Iran. It is one of the largest squares in the country of Iran. Every year, many of the country’s cultural and political gatherings and events take place there. In its 50 years history, Azadi tower witnessed the most important events in Iran’s contemporary history.
In 1966, 24-year-old architecture student Hussein Amanat won a competition due to designing a building paying tribute to the 2500th anniversary of the Persian Empire.
He says: “It is based on the brilliant past of Iranian history. the ages that Iran was outstanding in literature, art, architecture, crafts, various sciences and many other things. I wanted to present all my impressions of these in this monument, so that if someone comes from another country or even the Iranian people will know where and which culture this work comes about. ”
Architectural of Azadi Tower
The monument was completed in 1971.8000 blocks of marble clad the 45-meters tall skeleton.
It is a combination of both pre- and post-Islamic architecture that are cut into various geometric patterns.the marble are from Isfahan .
Ghanbar Rahimi supplied all the Azadi Tower’s stones.He was famous for the “Soltan e Sang e Iran” (Iran’s Sultan of Stone).
Computer programmed all the instructions for the building’s work also computer calculated the shape of each block.
The building marks the west entrance to the capital city .
IT stands on a 50000sq meter cultural complex known as Azadi Square which also includes a museum underground.
This monument has made by concept of traditional Persian Garden that includes figurative landscaped lawn and natural flower beds and streaming waters.
All foreign tourists post a photo of Azadi Tower in their Instagram.It announces that they have arrived to Tehran city!
Azadi Tower and policy
Historically, many political demonstrations have taken place in front of the Azadi Tower. These days, however, one of the only politically events to take place at this site is the annual celebration of the 22nd of Bahman (February 10th). It commemorates the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution. On this day, Iranians from all parts of Tehran, gather at this square.
Visitors who fly domestically will catch a bird’s-eye view of this monument before landing at Tehran Mehrabad International Airport. At the building, by going through the stairs or elevator to the top, you can view the modern-day Tehran.
The Azadi Museum
The Azadi Museum is on the basement floor. Inside the floor, there are black austere walls and proportions, and a concrete mesh forms the ceiling. Heavy doors open onto a crypt with subdued lighting issuing from showcases, each containing an object. The museum houses a number of gold and enamel pieces, painted pottery, marble and paintings. There are approximately fifty pieces , each representing a particular period in Iran’s history.
You can see at the Azadi museum
An entertainment thing to do in Tehran is visiting Azadi museum. Among the earliest items on display were square flagstones, gold sheeting, and terracotta tablets from Susa – an ancient city of the First Persian Empire – covered with cuneiform characters.
Before the 1979 Revolution, the main display was occupied by a copy of the Cyrus Cylinder.The original being kept at the British Museum.
A translation of the cylinder’s cuneiform inscription is inscribed.It is in golden letters on the wall of one of the galleries leading to the museum’s audio-visual department. A similar plaque facing the cylinder listed the Twelve Points of the White Revolution. Next to the Cyrus Cylinder, there was a gold plaque commemorating the original presentation of the museum to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi by the Mayor of Tehran.
Potteries, ceramics, varnished porcelains (such as a seventh-century blue and gold dish from Gorgan city), an illuminated holly Quran, and miniatures highlighted milestones in the country’s history up to the 19th century, which were represented by two painted panels from Empress Farah Pahlavi’s collection.
Recommendation for the visitors of Azadi Tower
- One of the best places to photograph at altitude is the head of Tehran’s Azadi Tower. It likes the upper part of Tehran’s Milad Tower and has a beautiful view to different parts of the capital city.
- Use the shopping collections of Tehran’s Azadi Complex to buy handmade works that are a symbol of Tehran. Gift them to your friends.
- Snow view of capital city of Iran can be one of the most enjoyable parts of the Tehran tourism. In winter, you must visit Tehran’s Azadi Tower and observing an emotional and icy view of Tehran.
How to access to Azadi Tower
- You can reach to Azadi Tower at the beginning of the entrance to west of Tehran. It has short distance to Mehrabad Airport.Therefore a bus terminal in this area is present. So you can access to it through the bus lines in addition to the Tehran taxi line. Also Tehran Metro Map (Line 4) has a station to access the square. Azadi Square is not within the traffic area of Tehran, so it is possible to travel by car. However, using public transportation is much easier because of traffic and parking problems.
- Visiting the Freedom Tower also its various sections is possible by purchasing Buying tickets. The tickets only possible at the site and is not possible through internet.
- Some of the nearby hotels:
- “Asareh” Hotel with an approximate time of 15 minute.
- The Pars Hotel Apartments in “Enqelab” Square, with an approximate time of 30 minute.
- Some of the other tourist attractions near this complex are:
- Chitgar artificial lake
- Vardij village (village of stone peoples)
- Eram park
- Tehran waterfall
Finally in this introduction we hope to see you in Tehran and also it’s beautiful places.