Rasht Travel Guide
Rasht is the capital city of Gilan Province and the largest city on Iran’s Caspian Sea coast. It is one of the greenest cities in Iran which is also a major trade centre between Caucasia and Russia using the port of Bandar-e-Anzali. Since it was a major transport centre which connected Iran to Russia and Europe, it was known as the “Gate of Europe”. The city of Rasht is also called “The City of Rain” due to the high level of rain in it. The city of Rasht is one of the most important cities in the north of Iran which has great weather and also tourist attractions. We have gathered the Rasht Travel Guide to help you explore this beautiful city more easily.
Rasht Weather and Climate
Rasht is one of the wettest cities in Iran which has a Mediterranean climate. It has warm summers and cool winters. It rarely snows in this city but you can see lots of raining in any season. You can see all four seasons in Rasht. However, as mentioned earlier, you should not expect a snowy winter. But to find the best time to visit Rasht, you can either choose spring or autumn. The weather is so cool and you can find great sceneries in these seasons with orange and falling leaves in autumn and colourful flowers in spring.
History of Rasht
According to historical documents, Rasht was a big village in a forest between two rivers of Gohar-Roud and Siah-Roud. The city had many ups and downs in history.
- The origin of the city dates back almost to the Sassanid era.
- The city was first called “Darolmarz” or “Darol-Aman”. It seems that due to locating almost close to the borders of Iran, this place was called the village near the border. Moreover, since this small town was situated between two rivers, it was considered safe and secured which was then called “Aman”.
- The name of Rasht was first mentioned in historical documents in 682.
- The city extended during the time until 1714 when it faced a devastating earthquake which almost destroyed most parts of the city. However, the city came back to life very soon and then occupied by the Russians due to the Russo-Persian War.
- Rasht is also the birthplace of one of the leading figures of the Constitutional Revolution whose name is Mirza Kuchak Khan.
- Rasht is the city in which the first national library of Iran was established and also the first modern newspaper was published. Even the first branch of the first Iranian Bank (Sepah Bank) was also located in this city.
- Moreover, Rasht is the first city of Iran which was equipped with a fire station.
Demographics and Culture
Rasht is the most populous city in the north of Iran. The people of Rasht speak Gileki, which is spoken by more than 3 million people. However, the Persian language is also spoken in this area.
Rasht Local Foods
Rasht Travel Guide will be incomplete without mentioning its special dishes. The cuisines of the cities in the north of Iran are so popular and delicious. There are many great cuisines which you should definitely try in Rasht:
- Mirza Ghasemi: is a cuisine made by the eggplant. It is mostly eaten with bread.
- Baghla Ghatogh: is a type of stew which is cooked by special vegetable. It is eaten by cooked rice.
- Fish: as a city near the sea, making different types of food with fish is so popular in Rasht too.
- Reshteh Khoshkar: is a special and well-known sweet which is mostly served during Ramadan.
Rasht Tourist Attractions
Shahrdari Complex, which is also known as Shahrdari Square, is an old square dates back to the Pahlavi era. This square is one of the best tourist attractions in Rasht which has been listed in Iranian National Sites.
Kolah Farangi Mansion is a building in Mohtasham Garden. This historic building was the summer residence of the monarchs of Rasht. It has an octagonal shape and considered one of the most important tourist attractions in Rasht.
Mirza Kuchak Khan was a famous figure who was born in Rasht. Today, his house has been turned into a museum for people who would like to know more about the life of this special and well-known leader.
Tomb of Mirza Kuchak Khan
Mirza Kuchak Khan also died in Rasht. His Tomb became one of the important tourist attractions in Rasht and means so much to locals.
Rudkhan Castle; or Qale Rudkhan, is a brick and stone medieval fortress in Iran that was built by the Gilakis to defend against the Arab invaders during the Arab/Islamic invasion of Sassanian Iran.
If you wonder what to buy as a souvenir from the city of Rasht you can consider one of these items:
- Reshteh Khoshkar: as mentioned earlier, Reshte Khoshkar is a type of sweet which is mainly cooked in Rasht. However, it is sold uncooked and then you should cook it yourself. That’s why it can be a great option as a souvenir. It won’t be spoiled or destroyed during your trip and you can cook it wherever you are.
- Olive: Gilan Province is one of the main places to plant olives. People in this area make different things with Olives. One of them is called Zeytun Parvardeh. It is a special dish beside the main course which is made with olives and pomegranate sauce which has a sour taste.
- Fooman cookies: these are another popular sweet from Gilan province which is so delicious and has a great smell.
- Weaving mat: weaving is so popular in Rasht and most of the cities in the north. People weave different kinds of baskets, especially with a bamboo stick.
How to Travel to Rasht
Rasht is the third city in Iran which is going to have a vast train transport system. Therefore, it will be easy to get to this city by train from any other cities in Iran. If you want to get to Rasht from Tehran, it will be easy to use buses to this city from bus terminals in Tehran. The buses are upgraded and so comfortable. However, it might take up to 6 hours to get to Rasht by bus.
Rasht also has an airport. Most people use this option because it’s more comfortable than others. However, it might not be as cheap as other options.
By the way, the easiest and fastest way to get to Rasht or any other cities in Iran is by car. It is either possible to use private cars in terminals or rent a car and drive to this destination. It is also possible to book tours to tourist attractions such as Qale Rudkhan or Ramsar which are very close to Rasht.
Find the Best Hotels in Rasht
NCA Travel will help you find the best hotels in Rasht and any other cities in Iran. You just need to search the hotels (if you know the name) or check the list of hotels in Rasht on the website. Just read their description, check their photos and if you have any question, do not hesitate to ask us. We will help you have the best trip to Iran.